View post (Guitar sounds like crap doing DI to computer)

View thread

scottrpileggi
scottrpileggi
10/12/2019 8:54 am

Hi there!

I need some gear advice.... I recently picked up a variety of instruments, amps, processors, etc.

Lately, I've been getting really frustrated with trying to play DI into my computer, which is perfect for playing along with lessons on this site. It seems like whenever I try to do so, the sound is very muffled, messy, and just downright bad; borderline broken. Especially on the neck pickup. This is my current chain for processing:

Guitar (Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/EMG active pickups) >>> Amp modeller/processor (Line 6 Pod XT) >>> Audio interface (Behringer UMC404 HD)

As far as diagnostics go, I find that if I play the Line 6 Pod with the headphone output, it sounds significantly better. I also found that if I take the Pod out of the equation and plug the guitar directly into the audio interface, it sounds bad then as well. Unfortunately, I don't have another guitar to test the chain out. It's also worth noting that the guitar sounds fine when plugged into my fender amp.

This makes me think that it's either the guitar or the audio interface causing the problem. But what do you guys think? Would like to come up with a resolution so I can spend less time trying to get a decent sound and more time practicing.

Thanks in advance!

-Scott