View post (String gauge ...or what?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/11/2019 2:07 am
Originally Posted by: Dave-H

I think I may have found at least part of my issue. The neck radius is almost twice the radius of a Fender (13.75" compared to 7.25" on a strat). This makes for a much flatter fretboard.

I wrote a response yesterday Dave-H but didn't post as diplomacy isn't my social strength when it comes to placating preferred belief vs logic and things I'm confidently aware of. Best let people develop awareness through their own journey of discovery.

That said, You've started, but are stumbling over the wrongly identified obstacle.

The problem you're experiencing as I perceive it from the info you've provided is on balance of probability a consequence of [u]two factors[/u] primarily.

One, is simply lack of finesse fingering at your current phase of progress. Pilot error in other words. You know the solution to that. The other is not contributed to by the Pacifica's radius, but the [u]string spacing[/u].

Squier and Fender Strats and Teles come in a few radiuses, neck profiles and nut widths. 7.25" is vintage. Traditional is 9.5". More predominant today, modern Strats and Teles are generally 12". Pacificas are flatter at 350mm or 13.75". Remember the nut width is only 41mm on a Pacifica, 42mm on contemporary 12" radius Squiers and Fenders, plus all of these are non-compound radius fingerboards.

[br]String spacing on Gibsons, Squiers and Fenders is pretty standard at 11mm. The Pacifica is narrow at 10.5mm. This is the specific aspect which likely be causing [u]you[/u] a problem with larger hands, [u]not[/u] the radius. I have both 12" Tele and 13.75" Pacificas among others inc HB SC Custom (LP clone), Manson Tele (compound radius) owned an Ibanez lawsuit SG once in the 70s with a trad neck, and own and play several acoustics wirh string spacing ranging from a narrow 10mm through standard 11mm and even wider in the Classical., and so know from hands on experience.

If you have large hands, the stretch will be easier, but the narrow string spacing exacerbated by the narrow nut might be a challenge. Pacificas require more accurate tip placement and hand form for this reason. If your fingers are slender, it shouldn't present a problem, and is more likely 'pilot error'.

That said, guitar necks can be a love 'em or hate em exercise. Pacificas are a superb guitar, especially for average to smaller hands, but large hands not challenged by a stretch will prefer something with more generous real estate IME.

The extra ½ cm string spacing does make a significant difference. 12" (305mm) vs 13.75" (350mm) radius is neither here nor there really. I switch between both every other day without issue. Neck profile can, but that's not going to challenge accurate finger placement with larger hands. It might with a chunky neck and small hands, but not the other way around.[br][br]

Try an Epi,Gibson, Squier or Fender with wider nut and string spacing. I suspect they'll be a better fit for you than a Pacifica. Radius is also a matter of individual fit and preference. I wouldn't personally consider anything less than 12" radius for me any more than I would a chunky vintage C neck, whereas with large hands they probably would feel quite comfortable for you. You really need to try them all on for fit.