View post (What do you suggest?)

View thread

NickFerra
NickFerra
09/23/2019 6:33 am

Hi,

I haven't played guitar in a while ever since my band broke up but I do know a little bit about the guitar. I'm looking to take this time to become a better guitarist and also write my own songs.

I have a basic understanding of open chords

(However that Dm chord...I've always had trouble playing that chord quick enough in a chord progression. I always have to have a little time to put my fingers in the right place. Not sure why. All the other basic open chords are fine)

I can play power chords

I can play barr chords to a certain degree. My hands will hurt after a while playing them. I might have carpel tunnel lol

I can play the minor pentatonic shape when it comes to scales but don't know how to use them properly.

I'd like to learn how to play lead and solo.

I think I should probably learn some theory too because I don't know all the notes on the fret board and it takes me a really long time to figure out where the notes are.

My influences are The Beatles, Oasis, The Cars, Alice in chains, Stone temple pilots, Ac/DC, Guns n Rose's, velvet Revolver, green day, the ramones, social distortion etc...

My favorite guitarists is Slash

So my question is, with the information I've given, where should I start?

I think If I started from the very beginning I'd get bored learning open chords again but would I miss vital information that I need to understand the fret board, scales and how to improvise with a band?

That's another thing, when I do get a band going again, it would be good to know how to improvise with the band and know what chords, notes or scales to play over stuff we make up.

Ok, thanks

Nick