View post (How To Buy An Electric Guitar)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
08/27/2019 4:36 am

[u]Here's how I'd approach your situation were I there again[/u]. Your personality type may prefer a different approach.

Rules of thumb.

Check the depth of the water, then dive in. I wouldn't "wait" beyond that. But that's me. That first electric guitar doesn't have to be THE perfect guitar. You won't know what that is for [u]you[/u] until you have put the hours and laps in the surf, pool, lake.

Have you ever played electric before? If not, the necks and action are quite different from acoustic, sharing in common only that they are both fitted with steel strings. Electric strings generally fitted as standard are lighter gauge 9s or 10s vs acoustic's 12s.

Electric guitar necks differ more widely than acoustic necks IME. By neck here, I am referring to all the characteristics of a neck, not just profile.

What styles of music do you like/intend to play? Electric pickups, configs, and guitars are very much orientated to genres.

Fit, by that I mean physical fit.

The fit and feel varies considerably. It is [u]most important to have a neck which fits you[/u], and which has features suited to what you want to do with it. e.g. shred, play metal, rhythm, blues, etc.

e.g. you can possibly relate to fit better in acoustic analogy by comparing the body shapes more than anything. For instance, I detest Dreads much as I'd like to like them. They are just a poor body fit for me. I'll go with a Concert or e-acoustic Slimline Cutaway every time. In electrics, the body shape is less of an issue than weight, centre of gravity or neck.

Buy that first electric guitar on fit and its suitability to intended genre, NOT how cool it looks in your or anyone elses' eyes, which is invariably a deciding factor to many a regret.

For me, brand doesn't matter, but I'm an analytical guy. And unless you're 'money is no object' loaded in which case "knock yourself out!", it foolish to buy too much guitar as a first as guitars depreciate faster than a new car the moment you drive it off the showroom floor.

As an electric noob, buy new unless you know guitars, or have someone with you who does, not just says s/he does. That way you don't get someone else's cast off problems unless lucky, and know what to look for other than a preferred colour and shape.

There's nothing wrong with Fender's Squier segment. I haven't owned an Epiphone, but from reports of those who do, it's more of the same segment marketing in Gibson flavour. Ibanez look pretty at the cheap end, but I wouldn't buy one there. Their higher end segment with better bodies, fingerboards and electronics is relatively expensive. They've become a name in a niche, for those to whom that is important and prepared to pay for it. A long time now my first electric was an Ibanez, so I'm not agin the brand per se. Just I wouldn't pay what I'd have to today to get in an Ibanez of the quality I did back then before they were a name. Lots of good kit also available from Cort, Yamaha that punch way above their price point weight. Then there are the prestige brands like Suhr & Jackson along with lots more who'd like your money, and niche like G&L. Very nice, but at a price. In the US, choice abounds. e.g. Gretsch, Rickenbacker, et al.

As a general guide, for an all rounder, it's [u]very[/u] hard to beat a Strat style guitar. I like Teles too. A lot. Both are good physical fits for me. I like the tones I can get from both of them. Les Pauls look cool, but do try first, and if going there, avoid the brand names targeting wannabes. Not knocking LPs per se, just that the whole Les Paul look is a bit of a minefield unless you know what you're about. And anything Les Paul I'd want to own or play is [u]heavy[/u], and remember, I as I said I'm not a brand snob, nor trad luddite.

Along with four acoustics, I own and play all three of those electric styles Tele, Strat, LP in various configs with alternative PUP and or bridge configs, and also had an (Ibanez) SG once. My next explorative adventure will probably be to a ES-335 (electric Spanish) style semi acoustic with Mahogany sustain block, but with contemporary design features and appointments.

[br]GL, enjoy your journey.

manXcat

PS. Trust me, unless you live in a shoebox where the neighbours are beating on your walls when you play your acoustic, once you have an electric, you will want an amp. And arguably, need one to explore tonality. How much or little is up to you. It can be as humble and efficient for in home use as a Boss Katana Mini or Blackstar Fly 3, or Yamaha THR 10 Fender Champion 20 etc. All of those have a headphone out jack and MP3 in for backing tracks for quiet play or practice. Another alternative is a VOX AmPlug or similar available in an increasing number of brands.