View post (Classical guitar strings tension issue ??)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
08/19/2019 8:00 am

Well higher action is part and parcel of traditional Classical as is the lesser tension & string friction of the nylon strings against the fingertips. Without a truss rod, it is what it is. As you're aware, only 12 frets to the body and a thicker neck with wider fingerboard and string spacing. Long skinny fingers are better.

My very first guitar of my youth was Yamaha's Japanese made antecedent of the current C40/70/80 series. Not knowing any better at the time, it was what I bought in high school to teach myself on. When I bought my lawsuit SG a year or so later and experienced an electric neck and action for the first time, I thought I'd discovered my guitar heaven.

I bought my current Classical for nylon tone and exploring relevant fingerstyle, and have electrics and acoustic tools for anything else I want to do. I was tossing up whether to buy a nylon slimline acoustic instead, but after deliberation the Classical got my $$$. Maybe an addition in future. The nylon tone is very useful with many vocals.