View post (Pick is slipping through my fingers when strumming)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
08/17/2019 6:46 pm
Originally Posted by: Simon Keyes
Originally Posted by: manXcat

you could also try: a [u]thinner[/u] gauge [u]standard shape and size[/u] pick with a [u]serrated grip[/u]. I find nylon or celluloid best, and [u]preferred for strumming[/u]. Dunlop nylon in a .38mm or .46mm recommended for acoustic strumming. 6.0mm or higher if you want to pick some individual strings or arpeggiate notes too e.g. "Hallelujah".

interesting ; is that a well documented recommendation for acoustic ?

i found 0.81" was ok but will experiment with lower thicknesses this coming week.

Honestly, I used a very small and pointy Dunlop Jazz III pick for a very long time. I was more a metal player for most of my playing years from the 80's til now. The more recent years, I'm playing much more bluesly, acoustic and slightly twangy stuff. The Jazz III is not at all useful for that stuff. I hadn't used a standard sized pick with any regularity for decades until last year but knew I needed to return to the stardard picks I'd often referred to as 'dinner plates'.

I went online to Guitar Center and bought a few variety packs if picks to retry.

At first I thought I'd immediately go back to my Dunlop Tortex yellow pick that I loved when I started. Thus far, I seem to be sticking to the same pick but one size up in green (.88mm).

We all have various challenges playing guitar. With a few finger and wrist injuries/issues over the last couple of years, I've found that I have to rewire my playing and thinking to certain aspects of my playing. One of them is not have the typew of pick grip that I used to have. It's only slight but I notice and it affects a little bit of my accuracy.

The pick is a peice of the puzzle. Playing guitar is like a big interconnected machine with many moving parts between you and the guitar. You just want to spend time experiementing with various components (ie - picks etc).