View post (Epiphone Special Repaint)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
06/28/2019 9:43 pm
Originally Posted by: frankdemarianySilly question but what tools would I need to remove the hardware?

Not a silly question if you don't know. Smart to ask.

At a minimum, cross head screwdriver to fit to remove the myriad of woodscrews securing the strap buttons, pickguard, PUP retaining brackets, rear cover, string trees, truss rod cover & tuner mech locating arm screws - if your model has them, a small shifting spanner or open ended wrench of the correct size to fit the pot nuts, & pliars with wirecutters for removing the strings.

Can't confirm for sure what screwheads Gibson use as I don't have an American manufactured guitar, but probably (Philips Head) PH1 if made for the US market, especially if 20ish years old. Japanese/Asian guitar hardware today generally use (Posidrive) PZ1 head woodscrews unless made for the US market specifically. Using the wrong driver head risks burring the crosshead undoing it it's tight, or tightening if not being patient and careful or overtightening when putting them back in. You may also need a small hex head wrench of the appropriate size for the grub screws retaining the pot control knobs to remove them unless they are merely an interference fit. Similarily to back off the truss rod once you remove the neck for storage while you repaint.

No disrespect intended Frank, but armed with the apparent level of expertise needing to ask the questions you are asking, you would be doing yourself a huge favour and avoiding a lot of 'pain' in future by buying yourself copies of this and this and reading at least the first [u]before[/u] you start. A relative pittance compared to the time and effort involved in the refurb you're intending. No need of the former, I do have and have read the latter. Not the bible, but pragmatically comprehensive & unquestionably, worth the spend. Recommended.

GL.