View post (Guitar Fingers)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
04/19/2019 8:12 am
Originally Posted by: mntano01

Did going to the wider neck make it more difficult to play a chord like G where you’re stretching your hand across the neck?

[p]

Ease of fingering a chord voicing is not just the nut/fingerboard width, but a combination of several interdependent factors. Nut width, neck profile, fingerboard radius, scale length, string spacing, action, string tension, fret size.

What is constraining or facilitating, comfortable or uncomfortable is relative to each individual's hand size & finger shape IME.

Large hands, long slender ectomorphic spider fingers....well you can figure it out. Made to play guitar.

Big hands with big thick or stubby fingers really need to try many necks until finding a good fit IMV. You'll know when you've hit paydirt.

Small hands with proportionate fingers, as a general rule avoid wide or chunky vintage necks like the plague FMM.

For anyone not having either large hands or an ecto build with spider fingers, I wouldn't venture over a 43mm nut. Tried many. Own ten for basis of objective comparison currently. Just my perspectve based upon my experience appreciating IMMV.