View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

jimk8882
jimk8882
09/13/2020 8:50 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Jim and I am 65. Joined GT about about 2 weeks ago. Currently working on Fundamentals 1 and enjoying it so far. Also starting to work on the song Simple Man (made easy).

I have some previous guitar experience when I was about 13. Picked up an acoustic guitar (I think for about $10) and took part in 20 group lesson offered through the Board of Education. As you can imagine only learned a few basic chords. Continued to play on and off for the next 10 years, with no training, and then stopped, probably about the time when I started working full-time.

Move forward about 40 years and now I am retired and have the time to pursue this again. So I decided to pick up an electric guitar, always a dream of mine to play some day and do the famous riffs I have listened to. Found GT and love how it is structured to bring you slowly into guitar playing. Also found that the fingers are not as fexible as they were 40 years ago ;-)

Anyways, just wanted to say that I enjoy the stories in this thread as it let's me know that I am not the only "older" person doing this.