View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

hlothere
Full Access
hlothere
Full Access
02/14/2020 3:21 am

Hi All, Retired at 70 six months ago and my retirement present to myself was a Squire Classic Vibe 50's Telecaster with a Boss Katana 50 amp. I signed up with GT about a month later. I enjoyed reading all the posts that have preceded me and I realize that as beginners, we all seem to have the same issues. The common solution is practice. Personal motivation and discipline are musts. Unfortunately, they are easier to talk about than to acquire.

I enjoy the GT lessons. One thing that I only recently learned was that the resources that are available with GT on my desktop are super vs. just learning from Lisa through my iPhone. I have been getting an idea of the lesson songs through repeating the lessons. I practice parts and if things are not smooth, I slow down the tempo to .5 normal speed and then increase the speed slightly and move up to normal speed after my fingers got it right. It sure gives me a boost in confidence.

Also, I have found that the "Fretboard Trainer" in the resources section of GT is a game that helps me learn the notes up and down the neck. Try it if you have a difficult time rembering the notes.

My goal is to gain playing proficiency and also music theory and eventually buy a looper pedal. Hope that I'm still alive by then.

Tom