View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

judith.levy
judith.levy
01/28/2020 7:48 am

55 year old woman here.

I played some classical guitar about a hundred years ago but I don't remember the fretboard at all and never learned to play chords, so I'm basically starting all over again from scratch. My goal is to play blues and Americana/country stuff like Jason Isbell (his stuff is actually what got me onto Guitar Tricks in the first place; I really want to be able to play his songs).

I blew threw Lisa McCormick's intro course and loved it (she is wonderful). I know I should work methodically through Anders's Country and/or Blues course now and hope to do that eventually, but I really need to start feeling like I'm making some music at this point so I'm letting myself try to figure out how to play a couple of Isbells.

It's not exactly a roaring success so far (although it's fun). Coordinating chord changes with strumming with a pick absolutely kills me. My brain short-circuits. I'm strumming along and then there's a chord change, and there is a BIG PAUSE while I crane my head over the neck to check that my fingers are planting themselves in the right spots. It's kind of comical. Hoping for improvement...