View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
08/17/2019 1:52 am

Stephen82,

Your performance story is AWESOME, but just to put it out there for my fellow BEGINNERS, you lost me at 6-line modulating thingamobobber!

I strummed a few songs on my acoustic at the last campfire and got people to sing along with Country Roads and Wagon Wheel. It felt GREAT to make music and have people enjoy it. People seemed to disperse after a while and I'm still not sure whether they were sick of hearing me play or they had to put kids to sleep. My wife says the latter, but I'm a bit self-conscious about playing in front of others and I have not yet recorded myself and listened to it.

I've been playing for 6 mos. and I can play chords, I have learned the 12-bar form for Blues. I know the major and minor scales, some of the pentatonic scales (but not really sure what to do with all those scales). I know how to strum about 15 songs, though I can probably only play 3 "perfectly" (maybe not perfect perfect) without making any mistakes or losing the rhythm. Do you think it's too soon for me to get one of those modulating sample back-tracking thingamobob's? Is it difficult to learn how to use it? I'm guessing that it plays music and vocals in the background while I would strum chords?