View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

Ddancer
Ddancer
06/11/2019 9:40 pm

Will be 71 this Oct. Come Nov will be 3 years I've practiced. When I say practice I average more than 3 hours a day. I have to admit, think I should be farther along than I am but then again I hear everyone is different. I just signed up to GT(trial period) and hoping it will have something to offer. I’ve been using Yousician most of the time which has been helpful getting chord down well and speed up. Unlike GT it doesn’t have the training video or as many songs yet. The problem I may have, is I like the 50s, 60s, and some 70’s but I don’t see a big selection in that time period (R. Nelson, Elvis, R Orbison Everly Brothers etc.), still there’s a lot, and I will continue checking out songs and the beginners lessons to see what can help me get to the next stage.

At this stage I’m able to use cowboy chords and sing along while playing. Have a fair handle on bar chords too. The songs I play are in their simplified 4 to 5 chord version. Naturally I want more and I’m hoping GT will be able to help get me there. One of the things I’m wondering about in the fundamental lessons is if you’re expected to memorize the scales for each chord. God I hope not, bottom line I do enjoy playing and have acquired more than a few guitars.