View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

wagnertew
wagnertew
05/25/2019 10:53 am
Originally Posted by: mntano01
Originally Posted by: sbokash

Hey kids,

48 here and just picked up a guitar about a month ago. I'm "stuck" on getting the fingers in the right place cleanly without futzing another string. Good to know it's normal-- pushing through. Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm 45 and just started playing. I'm in the same boat with getting my fingers in place. I tend to mute other strings too when playing chords. At first I thought it might be easier with a wider neck, I'm playing a 1 11/16, but I figure it is just me not know how to tweak my fingers to get the chords right. It's odd being older and not being able to do something easily. I signed up for lessons with a local teach too so I have somebody to look at my technique to makes sure I do not develop bad habits. I can honesty say the website is a better tool for learning, but I like having the back up for half hour a week.

Good luck my fellow old guys (or girls).

(62) Picked the Guitar back up a year ago after not playing for 40 years. Played bass in HS in a couple of guarge bands and wedding reception bands. Quite playing as life took me on another path. My dad passing away motivated me to pick the guitar back up. He played and was the one that introduced me to music when I was a kid. I am finding playing is coming back and I am having great fun but, like my dad used to say, practice, practice, practice. Even if its only for 15 minutes a day I find it makes a difference. I now find myself always carring a guitar pick in my pocket as a reminder to play each day. Using this web site has also been a termendous help. If I had known how easy it was to take a lesson in the comfort my home I probably would of started playing a few years earlier. Had no idea how easy it was to learn and re-learn through the web. You can teach old dogs new tricks!