View post (F is for...)

View thread

bdonnach
Full Access
bdonnach
Full Access
04/16/2019 7:42 am

RE: Change the guitar for a better "f". That is working for me. I started playing about a month ago using the 1985 Epiphone classical guitar my son left at the house when he took off for India to play gigs in coffee shops and explore. The classical guitar was a lot of fun to learn on, but the "f" chord was the first barrier I couldn't break. The second barrier was that I couldn't learn all shapes in the A minor pentatonic scale because the body comes up to the 10th fret, blocking me from playing pattern 5. I used that as an excuse to buy an acoustic Taylor. One of the selling points, I could play an "f" chord on the Taylor. Still an effort, but I could tell that the Taylor opened opportunities where the Epiphone put up barriers. It also beat out my emotional favorite, the Gibson J45 Studio; to me, better feel and sound.

Now, I'm working through Lisa's lessons to reinforce what I've already learned on my own in the last month, and to correct the mistakes I've taught myself. I haven't made it to her "f" chord instruction yet; hoping it will be as valuable as her chord transition strategies.

bd

bdphd