View post (Rank Beginner at 55, looking for a song approach)

View thread

Tide Rock
Full Access
Tide Rock
Full Access
04/09/2019 12:02 am

Hi Lisa!

Just this moment, I finished your Guitar Fundamentals 2! (I completed #1 last year.) Thank you.

I did every single lesson from beginning to end. Everyone starting out should do your Beginner lessons. Your care for the student is obvious and your ability to communicate what to do unparalleled. Guitar Tricks is lucky to have you.

I'm another in the 50+ group -- bought a Les Paul at age 50 for my wife's Birthday. LOL! (I got her a gift too.)

My main passion is Blues lead. Well, I should say Blues Rock. My top influences are Joe Bonamassa, Frank Marino, Gary Clark Jr, BB King, Jimmy Page, Alex Lifeson, and SRV.

Upon reading your reply about the "super-short-cut path" versus mastering the fundamentals, I realized my approach has definitely been the latter. I had been playing for a couple years before starting your course -- and always with the "long-term skills" approach. Not unhappy with it, but ... I want to learn more whole songs now and start playing with others.

Based on that, here are my questions:

My plan is to do the Guitar Tricks Blues Fundamentals courses next. Would you recommend that for me, or would you recommend something else first?

Can you recommend any Blues (or Blues Rock) songs that would be an easy place to start?

Any other thoughts you may have are also welcome!

Thank you so much for taking the time.