View post (Rank Beginner at 55, looking for a song approach)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
04/04/2019 3:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Planteater

Thanks everyone! it’s good to know there are so many of us!

After a few more days here I found the balance for me. I’n Glad in my fist few days of crazy enthusiasm I put every thing into chord changes and general basics. I rocketed through the first part of the intro course here at guitar tricks them stalled. It was only learning actual songs that saved me.

i attempted the five red guitar level lesson here on roundabout and I was able to learn the intro. This was a game changer for me. My first experience of making music. Now i’m Hooked!

pribably I’ll have to go back to more basic training. I know that’s what made the song attainable for me.

It for now I’m concentrating on learning. Songs. I’ve almost got Wish You Were Here

all I can think of is guitar all the time!

Day 15 now And I can play parts of three songs and that gives me something to work on for hours on end!

It's been decades since I was a beginner but I do recall that being able to play music was very rewarding. I mean, that's why you play, ya know.

My wife is starting to learn the mandolin. She's never really learned a stringed instrument (though she has a beautiful voice). The lessons she's opted to use have started her similar to Guitar Tricks and as part of the last, a small melodic song (Elvis - Fools Rush In). I could hear the joy when she could pick out a recognizable melody. That was just the first day!

I cautioned her that she should not get frustrated because she's not playing perfectly. It's natural to want to hear a perfect version.

I told her my story of playing my first song (Rush-Fly by Night). It's really the first thing I'd ever learned on guitar. It came naturally, for the most part but I also told her that to get it down to where it was 'satisfactory' for me, it took over a month to really get it down. Even today, the decending part of the rhythm, the lowest note (A#) is a little janky for me. You might not noticed that it isn't perfect, but I do...that's after playing the song off and on for the last 35+ years!

The point is; have fun! Perfection is a goal in the distance. Work towards it but don't be a victim of it and do as you're doing; enjoy. Don't lose that.