View post (Rank Beginner at 55, looking for a song approach)

View thread

Planteater
Planteater
03/23/2019 5:54 pm

I started on March 15 so I'm in my 8th day of guitar training and first day here.

I got obsessed when shopping for effects pedals for my son over Christmas because I can get obsessed with any kind of gear. I studied about 50 pedals, bought 12, and returned 7. I improvised with effects and started to enjoy playing a lot, although I understood how to do absolutely nothing except pluck a string put my finger on a fret and operate the volume nob.

I love this, but felt really held back by not knowing how to play guitar, ha ha!

So I want to learn so that I can continue my experimental music. I'm really hooked this time. I've practiced 1-2 hours every day for the last eight days, limited only by fear that my fingers will give out on my and I won't be able to practice tomorrow.

I've liked Justin these past days but feel a "learn songs" heavy approach would be best for me rather than the calisthenics he encourages. I'll probably continue a bit with Justin too.

I'm hoping Guitar Tricks will get me playing songs quickly as a big part of my practice. At this point it seems I'm a very long way from almost all the tutorials.

I'm very open to suggestions about how to incorporate a learn-songs approach more heavily in my training while I will also continue the more well-rounded approach here at guitar tricks. I have the time, desire, and will-power to do both!