View post (45 year old beginner)

View thread

Etoh
Etoh
03/30/2019 11:58 am
Originally Posted by: William MG

It might be that this dude is structuring his day to use multiple sources. I do same. I’m a newbie as well and use many sources to pickup techniques and to learn songs.

I agree with this! Multiple sources is the key imho otherwise you invaribly start developing the style of somebody else. I think an individual style (as long as it's technically "correct") is key. I say "correct" because one has to slightly adapt things to what works for you in terms of body mechanics.

The internet is so valuable today for things like learning an instrument. I took piano lessons for several years, gave up at 15 then dabbled in the guitar in my teens & 20s, (in the 1990s) took some lessons but never gave it a real go because I was young and unfocused. Now in my early forties I've started guitar again with the intention of doing what - in hindsight - I've always wanted to do which is play to a proficient level.

I watch countless youtube videos from all sorts of players from proficient amateurs to guys like Steve Lukather, Guthrie Govan, Steve Vai to name a few and take what I need from each one according to what works and resonates with me.