View post (45 year old beginner)

View thread

electriceells
electriceells
03/24/2019 9:50 pm
Originally Posted by: sgautier8th
Originally Posted by: stevechristian1

I’m about 2.5 months in and started strictly with Guitar Tricks. Since starting, I’ve actually built a routine by:

- Picking a new song I want to learn on Marty Schwartz’s YouTube channel.

- selecting new chords I want to learn through JustinGuitar.

- Following the structured course material through GuitarTricks.

Although I enjoy GuitarTricks and will continue to follow the course material, I find the diversity of teaching methods between Marty, Justin, and the folks here keeps me engaged in practice for hours on end!

You must have WAY more available time than I do, but I have seen some of Justin Guitar's videos. I love the Song tutorials on GuitarTricks, but I've only done a handful of songs thus far (also about 2 mos. into it). I want to be careful not to allow myself to use all of my practice-time learing a song that I like rather than building some new basic skills. It's all a matter of balance and it's different for each of us based on so many factors. The beauty of GuitarTricks and the internet is that we can each find our own balance and pace, and if we are throughtful and a little bit disciplined, the tools are there to build a sensible course that will get us there.

Hope to contnue to see you on the boards !

Be careful not to discount the value of learning other artists songs though, it really does train your fingers and your feel. Heck I think a feel or a groove is half the battle. Just think when you play a scale straight up and down compared to when you put a little groove on it. Finding the groove is a hard skill to master. Im kinda glad I learned so much and trained my fingers by learning others riffs. Made it less work-like and really prepared me to where I've burned through guitars basics 1 and 2 and blues 1 in less than a week. And before you ask, yes fortunately I have all the time in the world to play and practice.