View post (GT short in strumming patterns ?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
02/09/2019 8:34 am
Originally Posted by: SalvaXI didn't know the Shane Simpson's tutorial but this is the kind of approach-for-beginners that I had in mind when I first wrote my post.

Shane's site is very good, and he has exceptional communication & teaching skills IMV. Along with Andy's outstanding tutorials at Shutup & Play, my two favourites of many very good alternative tutors online.

I take on board your points, noting in particular the 'dedicated to as a Core Skill' perspective. I suspect that when revised and updated to higher res vids, the Fundamentals course with Lisa was intentionally simplified, or dumbed down for a less flattering appraisal, in order not to make it laborious and facilitate a sense of rapid progression for the average beginner, important to maintain motivation once the initial newness and novelty enthusiasm has worn off, especially for youngsters still at high school or college their peers are asking "can you play yet?". Without checking, I don't know if Christopher covered strumming as an individual tute in his previous very comprehensive course, but I'd wager a toss of the coin he more than likely did.

Something along the lines of Shane's strumming tutorials certainly couldn't hurt, that's for sure. I suppose it comes down to how much we want our subs to cost and triage of instructional time and resources to producing videos, as everything here costs time and money to produce. On a positive note, there are no copyright expenses or negotiation issues in producing strumming vids.

I love this site. Does what it says on the tin, good earthy meat 'n taters without the flim flam, lots of interesting stuff, great tutors. And a friendly no bitchin' forum if currently still underutilised. But I'm working on that. 😉