View post (Band Names)

View thread

stratman42
stratman42
10/22/2002 10:08 pm
Right, allow me to set the scene...

I am in a band. We have Drums, bass, lead guitar (me), rhythm guitar and vocals. Until recently i was vocals as well, but now we have a seperate vocalist we're doing better and last week we had our most successful rehearsal yet: our set list increased from 0 to 4. Admittedly these are all covers, but some members of our band (*ahem* DRUMMER) arent as confident, accomplished or interested as the rest of us, so we need to do covers to get underway. THe songs we do are:

Paranoid - Black Sabbath
Smells like teen spirit - Nirvana
Otherside - RHCP
Sleep now in the Fire - RATM

THe best one of these (by opinion of the minature audience we gathered) and the one we enjoy playing most is the Rage one, partly because its ideas are something we can relate to and understand, in a way. Until last week we didnt have a band name, until our bassist suggested "Burning Red" (note communist theme). THis also has some kind of heavyness to it, which is the kind of style we would like to fit into (a lot of the time we actually play in D standard). We have asked a lot of people of their opininons on this name and most of them like it a lot. HOwever, our rhythm guitarist has decided that he now doesn't like the name, because its "a rip of Machine Head", and insists on complaining about it at every oppurtunity, despite the fact that he's outvoted 4:1 on it. So we gave him a deal - it sticks until he comes up with something better that everyone likes better. Therefore there are at least two issues here: -

1) What is everyone's opinion on the idea that its a rip of Machine Head, considering that they themselves took their name from a Deep Purple song and album.

2) From what little you now know of our band, or just in general, does anyone have any suggestions that you think may fit?

Any help will be much appreciated...ta:)
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D