View post (Two Questions (Palm Place and Alternate Picking))

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/31/2018 5:11 pm

Hey, Jasim!

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

I got a bit concerned when you said you don’t like the angle of my wrist, so to show you exactly what I’m doing and to get a better idea of what I mean, I’ve taken a small video where I’m playing in it from angle that shows (I think) a better view of my wrist and palm.

[/quote]

Thanks for the video! I can't see your shoulder but I can see your hand & wrist, thanks! A lot of your technique looks fine. Looks like a lot of good bending from the wrist. Looks like you are using your index & middle fingers to help push the bend, which is good. But there are 2 potential problems I see with your fretting hand.

1. Thumb extension. There a few times when you have your thumb a little too far over the top of the neck. For maximinum leverage to bend it helps to have the pad of your thumb planted on the side edge of the neck. That gives your hand a powerful anchor to rely on, enough room for your fingers to completely curve around to the strings.

2. Finger strength. It looks like a couple of places you are struggling to get those strings bent up to pitch. :) That's mostly a matter of leverage & repetitious practice!

Sometimes once you get enough finger strength & dexterity built up you can get away with hanging your thumb over the neck. But it doesn't help bending. It only hinders it. I think it happens mostly because of adrenaline & the excitement of passionate playing. :)

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd[br]For picking technique, I think I’m putting too much pressure on the pick you’re right, I should loosen up a bit. Thanks for the videos. Also, now that I’m done the core system, I’m planning to go full throttle on all your videos and lessons.

Good deal! Glad you are able to notice that. Also, on a lot of blues type licks like this, it's fine to have such wide pick strokes across the strings in order to really dig in. but keep in mind the faster you want to go, the less you can move. You have to train yourself to keep your pick strokes very tight & minimal.

For example, near the end when you do a sequenced run (about 2:15) you get a little tangled in the strings with your pick. This is where2 things can help.

1. Move the pick closer to the brigde.

2. Keep your pickstrokes very small. Just enough to get over the string, then back across to the next stroke.

[quote=jasim.hd]Again, thank you so much and happy New Year, wishing 2019 would be a good year for everyone. :)

Happy New Year! Here's to a 2019 filled with guitar learning & playing! :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory