View post (Thinking about playing guitar again)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/23/2018 2:10 am

Catsim electric guitar is effectively silent from an annoyance to others in the house or neighbours perspective, unless in the same room and they are trying to watch TV where it can be aurally distracting as it does produce acoustic sound even without amplification. So you will still be able to hear it, but not with anything like the volume of an acoustic. If someone is in another room and it's unamplified, they won't.

Thomann guitars are great. For a first electric, there's no need to spend a packet. Something like the Harley Benton TE-30 BE Standard Series for €89 would do what you want and would be a delight to play.

Out of sheer curiosity, I bought a similar Tele clone (ETL-100) from Aldi for just AUD$100 (USD$70 or €64) which I'm pretty sure is made in the same factory in China that make SX (Essex) and to the same standard. Blown away would be understatement. Think Squier Affinity minus the branding for just €64!

QC on it was better than I have been experiencing from Yamaha recently at a price point ten times that! Seriously. Sure, like the Squier the pickups are ceramic and mechs pretty low end, but they work adequately for purpose until you want better/more. Neck is same nut, profile, radius, fret, scale length spec as Squier Affinity. Even the strings supplied on it were usable. Of course a set of EXLs or Slinkys improve playability measurably. Yet people will pass it by because it isn't a familiar name and is sold in ...Aldi. LOL.

Only thing I had to do out of the box was adjust the relief to climate. It set up to a low action with zero buzz. I was uber impressed. The polurethane paint finish on it is drop dead gorgeous and as flawless a finish as I've seen. Alder body too I believe. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. I enjoy playing it. Very comfortable to finger and fret. I've modded mine inexpensively to much higher spec since with replacement six saddle flat bridge, Korean Wilkinson WVTN/WVTB alnico V pickups & TAD Orange Drop tone pot cap, Korean Wilkinson tuner mechs and of course, D'Addario EXL10s.

So yes, pick something from Thomann which appeals. If you just want to go as cheap as possible, buy a TE-20 for €72. It'll do the job. They also have Harley Benton SSS Strats from similar price point and up. They also have Gibson SG style guitars starting a little higher if you want a double cutaway with double humbucker, although the body shape has been altered from the classic SG shape to keep Gibson's lawyers at bay. PRS clones and the like kick off around the €190. Thomann are starting to develop a following for their Harley Benton brand now, and prices are starting to increase partially due that, and partially due the increases in labour costs and currencies in China & Vietnam, but they are still great value.

I used to own an Japanese made (Ibanez before they were a name) SG many many moons ago (70's), and now have contemporary Tele, Strat and Les Paul Custom clones in varying configs. My inexpensive recommendation to learn on from Thomann would be either a Tele or Strat with a contemporary neck rather than vintage. Can't go wrong with either.

Compact alternative style Traveler specific guitars, though a useful tool, are pricey and really require high mojo to tote them along and actually use them IMO.

[br]When you buy an electric guitar, do buy a floor stand too and keep your guitar on it in a visually prominent place. It works. You won't be able to keep yourself from picking it up and playing frequently most days. If it doesn't, guitar probably isn't for you. And that's OK. Many are in lust with the image of being a rock guitarist, but not so enamoured with the work in the activity of playing guitar, particularly the initial first few years slog learning phase.