View post (Hacking)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/13/2018 7:44 pm

I've been reporting the spam as I notice it to GT Admin since March, the recent foreign language infestation since about August. The GT folks are quick to respond to my email and remove the junk except...

It appears that the Forum is not monitored, i.e., my or someone else's reports seem to be the first tip that something is wrong. Futher, the probable Chinese spam like what we just went through is sent at what is the morning time in the Far East. Consequently, it's past normal business hours in California. Again, it appears there is no one to montior and correct the influx of spam during those off hours.. This spate we just went through took more than 24 hours to remove... maybe because it was a holiday?

I too have some concerns. I'm concerned that clicking on the spurious links contained in the spam may lead to some nasty infectation of GT user's computers. I'm also disappointed that there is no [u]proactive[/u] response. Not yet, anyway.

IMO, such trash shouldn't hang around the Forum for one than an hour. But that's just my opinion...

Again, the Admin guys are fast to remove the spam when they receive my tip offs. But I have a sinking feeling the response should be faster.

john

p.s. There was a short GT site outage this morning, I think it was in the seven-hour, Californiua time. It only interrupted me for about ten minutes but I couldn't help but wonder if it had something to do with the dump of dozens of spam messages into the Forum. If that was the case, it's a good reason for a more immediate response to spam dumps.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins