View post (Buying a guitar mail order)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/03/2018 9:24 pm
Originally Posted by: mtbkr55Fender JA-90 Thinline Telecaster Jim Adkins Signature. On paper, it has everything I want: Telecaster thinline body, short scale, P90 pickups.

Nice.

Except for my first when I took the plunge a year ago this month, for a myriad of reasons, that's how I [u]now[/u] prefer to buy all my guitars. In hindsight, I regret not buying my first that way too, but I was under the errant illusion buying from a walk-in LMS would be smarter after the 45 year hiatus. I was wrong. Another >USD$1k new guitar winging its way to me as I type.

RMA returns are ordinarily free (at sellers' expense), and in the US many etailers offer change of mind returns free too -within a time limit caveat. But do read the fine print on returns.

The problem I have with free 'change of mind' returns is that along with all the other attitudes in 2018, a percentile of people do abuse it. So it's up to the integrity and honesty in trading of the etailer as to whether they then offer that returned stock for resale as B stock (e.g. as Thomann do) or listed as a customer return. The stores I use do.

If you know what you want, there's absolutely no rational [u]need[/u] other than emotional hand holding to limit yourself to buying only from a walk-in [u]if you choose a reputable etailer[/u] and [u]reputable product,[/u] are capable of and [u]do your own homework.[/u]

[br]As always with a topic such as this, YMMV.