definition of shredding

SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
10/11/2002 12:28 pm
Originally posted by Zeppelin
:) thats nice
but i dont think every guitar player has a feel.
feel is not a term from outter space.. its about dynamics and vibratos and bends and such.. its not like SRV or Jimmy Page or B.B King got a secret way to play guitar or something like that but the thing is that they know how to use all those things ive mentioned and thats what feel is about. in jason becker's music he misses this.. usualy hes just too busy with sweeping fast arpegios and you can say he sounds good and all but his music is still tasteless and feel-less in my opinion.
im not talking in absolute terms here.. its my opinion, but when someone plays so fast it comes instead of other things anothe player would have used in the same solo..
[/B]

What Jason Becker's songs have you listened to? the man never misses the dynamics or soul even when he's shredding or sweeping.
Try 'Altitudes' from 'Perpetual Burns' album , if you did and say it's boring or played without feelings... hmmm ... I donno what can I tell you then..

I agree that some shredders are pretty boring, like malmsteen & michael angelo...
on the other hands, most of other shredders have amazing technincs,style & soul like Vai,Satch,Gilbert,Petrucci, Jason Becker ,and many others...

I believe in 10 years or so, Jason Becker will be rediscovered & remembered as a legend ... the man contributed to the music so much in very short period, he only have one amazing solo album written & played by him, and another one that was mostly played on key board since he couldn't play then...

# 1
bodders
bodders
10/11/2002 12:33 pm
NNNNNRRRGHHH VAI IS NOT A SHREDDER. SATCH IS NOT A SHREDDER. PETRUCCI IS NOT A SHREDDER.

AND YES - Malmsteen IS a shredder, and as you say - he's **** ok?

I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THOSE NAMES FROM, OR IF IT WAS THAT LIST YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE BUT YOU REALLY NEED TO DO SOME LISTENING, AND GET TO GRIPS WITH THE REALLING MEANING OF WHAT IT IS... AND HOW CRAP IT IS, TO SHRED.
Lyrics: a waste of time between solos.
# 2
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
10/11/2002 1:06 pm
Originally posted by bodders
NNNNNRRRGHHH VAI IS NOT A SHREDDER. SATCH IS NOT A SHREDDER. PETRUCCI IS NOT A SHREDDER.

AND YES - Malmsteen IS a shredder, and as you say - he's **** ok?

I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THOSE NAMES FROM, OR IF IT WAS THAT LIST YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT BEFORE BUT YOU REALLY NEED TO DO SOME LISTENING, AND GET TO GRIPS WITH THE REALLING MEANING OF WHAT IT IS... AND HOW CRAP IT IS, TO SHRED.

Well, the defintion of shredding is playing fast stuff... all those guys I've mentioned shred, including Vai and Satch...

!SHREDDING IS NOT AN INSULT !

about the list thing you said, I don't get those names from f*cking magazine polls or sh*t... I listen to them all, and I like most of their stuff...I also listen to blues & rock , classic, flamenco , other genres that you probably don't know... if you don't like shredding I can't tell you're wrong, it's your opinion, but also you have nothing to argue about with me about what music I listen/like , right?

Finally, SHREDDING IS NOT CRAP, BUT TOO MUCH SHREDDING IS .

# 3
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
10/11/2002 1:10 pm
first of all Bodders dude, calm down a bit

He is right about steve vai and such.. they are not shredders . same about michael angelo.. he is a typical metal-head ..thats it..
yes ive heard "atitudes" by jason becker. in my opinion its tasteless rip-off from classical music.
seriously, he is a good guitar player and such, has a good technique but his music is like classic music only much more boring..
in steve vai's stuff you have much more then one fast guitar.. its always about the whole composition. michael romeo - the guy could play in any 70's band, only he has better technique than all of the hard rock guys from 30 years ago, he has a great sound, plays amazingly clean and usualy has real phrases and not up and down runs.
Jason becker? i can summarise it in "scale up , arpeggio x 100, sweep x 100 and so on"
if you let those two guys (michael romeo and jason becker) to play same song/piece i cant tell that one of them will play it better.. im sure they are pretty much techniqly equal but when it comes down to stuff they write jason becker sounds like any other guitar player who plays electric 6 string, loves classical music and listened to ritchie blackmore when he was a kid..
its nice and everything but not my kind of thing
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 4
Cavefish X
Cavefish X
10/16/2002 5:49 pm
"Shredding" is nothing new, look at Paganini, Chopin, even Bach...Whether its has musical value of not, lets all remember why we shred in the first place....
IT IMPRESSES THE CHICKS!!!!! SHRED ON! ;-)
What's the difference between a puppy and a singer-songwriter?
Eventually the puppy stops whining.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.