View post ("New Rock Bands")

View thread

stratman42
stratman42
10/13/2002 1:57 pm
The Hives don't play solos...so what? To me its an acheivement not to play solos and to be able to restrain yourself like that. I don't know what the reason is for their not playing solos...whether its because they can't or because they feel it wouldnt fit in with the music or because its cliched (because it is!), it's a good enough reason whatever. Even if they actually can't, it takes a lot of honesty and restraint to know and admit that you can't and to just stick to what you know best. Rhythm guitarists are a lot easier to work with than lead guitarists and a lot less arrogant...a good rhythm guitarist can fit in with anything, even if its just playing the same thing as another rhythm guitarist, whereas a lead guitarist will just solo over the top half the time, which can sometimes ruin the effect. Rhythm guitarists are also a lot easier to get on with in other aspects of life - not over competetive, arrogant or elitist like a lot of lead guitarists. I got kicked out of my old band for the clash between two lead guitarists both trying to solo a lot. I went seeing them ast nite with only one guitarist and he played NO SOLOS...it sounded so much better and i was very impressed by the level of restraint he had, as he used to be the stereotypical elitist lead guy like ive been going on about. I'm now in a band working with a rhythm guitarist instead of another lead and it really is a lot easier, but im trying to cut down on my soloing and brush up on my rhythm playing to improve our overall sound. Remember, a band is more than just the sum of how many guitar solos it has or how "good" the lead guitarist is.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D