View post (what a horribly bleak world i live in)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
10/05/2002 4:32 pm
By the way, though I am taking the "pro rap side" ere (how do i get myself into these things?), i do to agree with you to a degree Skee. DJs to a large extent are killing the live band scene, and that is not good at all. Even worse are the pokie machines though, they're really destroying the pub scene in Australia. However, the kind of DJ that does that is not a good musician, he is a guy who picks top 40 radio records and manages to put the singles together just well enough so they don't quite gell propery when the tracks change, while occaisionally saying"yo, it's goin' off in da house!" while trying to pick up the underage girls who used fake ids to get in there in there first place. That's not the kind of electronic music I'm trying to defend. The guys who I am trying to defend generally cost more to hire than half of the rock bands (which isn't a good thing, it just is). I think the point is, if you can create a sound that apppeals to you, and fits what you are trying to express or whatever, it doesn't matter how you get the sound, the point is that it sounds right. Because that's what music is about: sound and silence. Music should be inclusive, and innovative, and accepting, not constantly being aobut people saying "that's not music". I mean, people used to say that the #4 was killing jazz. Gues what. That's right. It didn't.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".