View post (Guitar buying advice)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
10/09/2018 9:21 pm
Originally Posted by: JohanSA

Hi there,

Any practical advice for choosing a guitar?

My initial goal with GuitarTricks is to pursue the classical sound (just in case I misunderstood what that means, I've found "Malaguena" on Youtube - THAT is fantastic). Don't worry, I know it's probably going to be years before I get to quite that level.

A secondary goal is to be able to pull out the guitar around a campfire with confidence.

I rather strongly suspect this choice of direction influences what kind of guitar I should get. So, good advice (as opposed to random opinions) would be very welcome :)

Random opinion; I like dark roast coffee ;)

Malaguena - Amazing song and a very good long term goal. Not an easy one but a great mountain to choose to climb.

For guitars, I agree first with Taylor too. This also assumes you are looking at acoustics. So, depends on your budget as to what will work for you. You can an amazing guitar for under a thousand dollar. You can get a great guitar for under $500. You can get a really good guitar for around $300. Under that? Well, you can get a good guitar but you start sacrificing many things.

I do like Taylors. I spent $850 on mine and I love it. I do have a Fendr T-Bucket too. I spent about $300 on that and it is a good guitar as a back-up (actually, a really good one for $300). However, these are steel string guitars. You may want to consider sticking with a steel string acoustic as a beginner. Nylon strings (a staple for classical guitar) is a different animasl to lerarn to play on and I'd suggest not as easy.

That's kinda the key; a comfortable guitar to play when you start and will be useful in multiple genres..and good to pul out at a campfire.

Suggesting a brand for an acoustic is one thing, you should go and play some. You want one that fits compfortable in your lap, is comfortable in your hands and and is easier to play (which you find more consitantly in the upper part of my range above).

Versus electric, which have differing pruposes that drive how it's built (like what kind of body and electronics), with acoustics, it is more about pereference. Steel stringed guitars all really do the same thing. Because of that, it is preference on other factors regarding how it plays in your hands.

I kinda gave a general answer but hopefully stuff that helps as a guide.