View post (Standard tuning - dumn or what?)

View thread

u10ajf
u10ajf
08/25/2002 1:46 pm
O.k it's nice having two E-strings to give your guitar a bit of resonance but does anyone else think it's dumn having everything tuned to 5ths bar one exception which means that for every chord shape you have to learn no less than 3 other versions? Now I feel a bit cheated that I didn't start learning in this tuning; it's tough enough learning so many inversions and voicings for chords without this nonesense.
Personally I've just started experimenting with tuning all in 5ths (EADGCF). I'm finding it hard to learn the new chord shapes but it does have some advantages. For instance I love natural harmonics, for every string you can get a major arpeggio from harmonics just by stopping the 5,4 and 3rd frets. EAD give you all the chords you need for A major, GCF gives you all the chords you need for C major. Neat huh? Another advantage is that whillst staying in a given position your fingers can get one note higher in pitch.
There are disadvantages however; if you want to play chords which have more than one duplicated note sometimes the fingerings can become tricky.
Do you guys play in other tunings? What do you think about this?
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?