View post (Danelectro 'Chili Dog' octave mini pedal)

View thread

Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/21/2007 7:45 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsI got my Chili Dog for thirty bucks. It's OK. I don't use effects of any sort enough to justify Fulltone prices. To each, according to their tastes.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=light487]I don't find Octavers that useful to be honest.. It is a very specific effect so I can't really use it all the time.. in fact I find it hard to find a song that you can really get a good use out of the pedal. I'd like to hear about what you are using the pedal for.. That and the fact that they buzz-out when you play chords through them makes a separate pedal purchase, no matter how cheap, something that you really need to think about.

I bought a cheap (2nd hand) BOSS one years back and I felt ripped off to be honest.. not because the pedal was broken.. just that I couldn't really use it a lot and it felt like a waste of money. Now that I have it as a part of my multi-effects pedal I still don't use it very much, if at all, but it's there if I need it.

I appreciate that this was a review of the product and not an opinion of why you should or shouldn't get one.. but yeh.. the octave effect is usually "specific" (ie. limited) to a certain style.. and even then you don't use it all the time.

So, what's your point?

I 'make do' with a unit that was definitely not built to withstand frequent use, because I do not use it frequently. To my ear, [u]all[/u] effects fall under the 'do not over-use' title. The sound of a well-played guitar driving a toneful amp is all that's required. Anything more needs to justify its presence. If using a particular effect is the [u]only[/u] way to achieve the sound you want to produce, then use it. Otherwise, leave it shut off, and concentrate on making your guitar speak for you.

I have a special place in my gear collection for this little pedal. Because it is special, and it deserves a place. I prefer it to the BOSS OC-2 that it replaced, but don't think for a second that it defines 'my sound'.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons