View post (playing to 0-1 person audiences)

View thread

NickFerra
NickFerra
06/29/2018 5:41 pm

It's tough trying to be a musician. It's harder than I thought.

My band keeps having bad luck. We are replacing members in the band almost every 6 to 7 months. College kids join us and then they are moving. Non college guys keep bailing on us.

The last lead guitarist we had just stopped coming to practice and hasn't answered texts, emails or phone calls since he left 6 months ago. No communication whatsoever. He just left. We thought he was dead at one point and had all of us worried. That is until he showed up being active on facebook.

He's still got my distortion pedal by the way and I'm a little ticked off.

and we play free shows all the time. Never get payed. We got payed once. $100.

$25 each.

but we didn't draw enough people for a big crowd so they are not inviting us back.

We did manage to get a little gas money for a house show but they haven't invited us back because we don't go to all the house shows and support them. Not on purpose though. I work night shift. 10pm to 7am. Guess what time the house shows are? 10pm-2am. So I can't go. Since I can't go we don't get to play.

We've played to 0-1 person audiences. That gets really discouraging. We are pretty much having band practice at the local bars.

Sometimes we draw in a crowd but it's nobody random. They are friends that we have to pull their teeth to come or our singers parents and cousins will sometimes come.

I asked this one time on facebook because I was pretty upset.

But I'm beginning to think my band just sucks! We suck! Someone told me you can't be like that. We all think we suck but you will reach out to the proper audience in time.

We rehearse all the time so we are tight on our songs. We are writing new material. We are about to come out with a cd.

So I don't know if we suck or what. I'm doing everything I can to make a presence online but 50 subscribers on youtube and 10-20 views on our videos doesn't cut it.

This sucks.