View post (Gretsch for a beginner?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
06/22/2018 2:44 pm
Originally Posted by: ian.robertsonn

I prefer a softer sound so not really looking at solid bodies but hollow and I really like the look of Gretsch guitars but not realy sure if it's the right way to go or does it really not matter? Grateful for any thoughts from the good and the wise!

Before I got my Les Paul, I'd been considering a Gretsch. You should look at the Electromatic series. They are imported but they have great reviews for quality and playability and under $500 (Sweetwater). Key for Gretsch Electros is price and still get a version of the Filter'Tron pickup (Broad'Tron). Though not exactly the Filter'Tron, very vintagey sounds. A little more like a twangy PAF-style humbucker..and if you wanted to go full on Filter'Tron to get a little more twang in your pickup, Filter'Tron's are only $90.

Food for thought. No need to break the bank. Gretsch pro level guitars are $2000+ and great guitars. But I'd totally messed up years ago in getting rid of my original Gibby Les Paul and my heart went that way (with no regrets!). But I still dig that Gretsch thing...I'm not sure I can convince my wife to get me a third guitar in a year!