View post (What are your ALL TIME rock concert highlight?)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
06/17/2018 6:41 pm

Some years ago, B.B. King and a large group of artists touring with him came to Missoula. It was an outdoor, no seats, on-the-lawn show. I figured B.B. would be last of what seemed to be 30 artists so I skipped the show and the long, super late drive home. I found out the next week B.B. was first on stage. ). Both the 'Stones and Paul made it to the thriving 70,000-strong Missoula megalopolis and through the years here or in other places I caught Link Wray, The Kingston Trio, Stan Getz, P,P&M, The Ventures, Denver, Sha Na Na, Presley, James Taylor, Dylan, Neil Young, CSN, the Eagles, CCR, Bo Diddly, Willie, Jeff Beck, ZZ Top, Elton,Tedeschi Trucks Band and a bunch of others including my fav, Kristofferson.

But my "all time [u]rock[/u] concert hightlight?" Loggins and Messina during their "Full Sail" album tour. Their concert highlighted much of their earlier albums and it was a blazing show. I had never before or have ever since experienced the level of excitment I got from that concert. The third row, center seat no doubt had something to do with it but the band blew me away. They burned the house down! (a few years later that San Antonio venue really did burn down)

I think individual concerts can rock out, excite and inspire no matter who is playing . I've seen some pretty flat shows by some pretty big names and I've seen shows by lessor knowns that startled me by the fire they created in the audience. L&M was one of those.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins