View post (Mangled Fret Finger Giving It Another Go)

View thread

jsn.hgl
jsn.hgl
06/04/2018 7:58 pm
Originally Posted by: LisaMcC

Hi again Jason,

So, I’m guessing from the picture that it is your index (first) finger that is slow to come in for a landing due to range of motion issues? Am I right on that?

if that is the case, I would set up a specialized little training exercise for your hand, in which you would place the slow finger into proper position for the C chord, all by itself, over and over.

Watch it with your eyes, watch the spot you are headed for on the neck of the guitar, and see if you can just let that finger succeed in finding that particular spot, very slowly, taking all the time it needs, over and over. The key word is SLOW. And repetitive. You are focusing on this ONE LITTLE MICRO-SKILL while you are doing this exercise, and nothing else.

There is no such thing as failing at it. It is simply a training exercise. Sometimes you’ll hit it well, other times it will be off kilter. All normal. No judgement allowed - just do, and observe.

In this way, you are creating a new neural pathway for that finger which has sustained an injury, and may feel it has ‘forgotten’ or ‘lost’ the ability to do certain things. Old comfortable neural pathways were disrupted by the injury and recovery, and now you can build some new ones!

I’d add this meditative exercise into your practice time every day if you can. Five minutes or so.

Ultimately, down the line, we hope that the slow finger will have learned some new nuances of angle, loosen up or stretch muscular impediments just a bit, learned to suspend any doubt or hesitation that is slowing it down, and it can bravely lead off the formation of a regular Open C chord, trusting that the other fingers in that chord are going to meet it and fall into place.

All my my best wishes to you and all your fine fingers, Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the advice!

I have immediately implemented this into my practice and will PATIENTLY work at it each day (the all caps was me yelling at myself). Last night, while kicking off with the exercise, I thought it might be good to go along with a metronome to further simulate gripping the chord and then letting off and then regripping and so on. Just with the index finger as you prescribed. I don't know yet how well this will work but you gave me more practical advice already than I got from 3 months of live lessons I took a few years ago. Thank you again!

Nice to have a way to address this challenge of mine and I can already see how I can use this same meditative exercise that you prescribed for the F chord as well as full barre chords when I get to them.

Just a wonderful feeling to have some inspiration and practical suggestions all in just my first couple of days on GT! :)

Cheers,

Jason