View post (To PICK or not to PICK)

View thread

kvsealegs
kvsealegs
05/21/2018 10:54 am

From one beginner to another, I think that ultimately what makes you happy, and most likely to pick up and play the guitar is how you should predominately play. But, if you notice, most accomplished guitarists play a multitude of different ways. You will find that different tones will emerge from the guitar using different kind of picks. There a light, medium, and hard picks in a variety of shapes, materials, and some may utilize household items, to produce a unique tone. There are thumb picks, slick picks, speed picks, Jazz picks, even Jason Mraz picks. (lol) Picks are relatively cheap if you look around, I found a site that sells them for around a dollar each. I will often play without a pick, but my fingernails wear away quicker than even my softest picks, which can effect your accuracy when playing notes individually.

I think if you like the softer tone produced by your fingers, you should try a softer pick, and spend a little time accustoming yourself to the pick. There are a lot of things you can do with a pick that would be hard to accomplish fingerstyle. But, fingerstyle is a whole 'nuther realm of playing. There is classical fingerstyle, Travis picking variations, and likely more than that.

You might watch a few lessons by Karen Armstrong, she plays fingerstyle and you may pick up a few techniques by seeing how she plays.

The guitar is a journey. Try a few different paths.