View post (Amp for Fender stratocaster Deluxe)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/18/2018 2:27 pm
Originally Posted by: gilouch0

Maybe some people were reading this and are also shopping for an amp.

Conclusion is, for home use a tube amp (bassbreaker 007) sounds amazing but it is loud and when lowering the output you loose the reverb and/or the gain ; and since there is no headphone output well you are paying for a nice amp that you will not hear properly.

Soooo, I followed Christopher's advice and checked the boss katana 50 which is an amazing amp!!! In the end, I bought the Katana 100/212 which is totally epic!!!!

Wow, congrats on the new amp! You did the research & tried amp & found what works for you. Well done. :)

You discovered one of the limitations on some tube amps, the more headroom, the more you need to open it up (turn it up!) in order to get it to really sing. And that doesn't always work for home playing.

There are some tube amps with small wattages that can sound decent. I have a couple of tube amps by Reason Amps, a Bambino & a Grande. They have scaleable power output, from 2 to 8 watts for Baminbo, from 10 to 20 for the Grande. And even at 2 watts that Baimbino can get loud! Sadly they aren't made anymore.

I've tried some of the other modern tube amps with scaleable power & some are better than others.

That's one reason I really enjoyed & bought the Boss. They all have adjustable power settings. Also they are well made, 12 inch great sounding speaker & all those Boss effects built right in! The 50 watt has 3 power settings: .5w, 25w & 50w. And they all sound fantastic!

Congrats again. Play lots of guitar this weekend!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory