View post (Rosewood versus mapple fingerboard (fretboard))

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
06/09/2018 2:02 am
Originally Posted by: joescott13I know that's really subjective but I think that's what finding the right guitar is all about - what feels right to the one playing it.

That's for sure.

Haven't tried ebony. I have rosewood and maple.

I think I prefer rosewood, but don't have the same hangup with the feel of maple that you do. It does feel marginally different, although I'm not sure if that's because of the combination of that particular Tele's neck section, string spacing for scale length and fingerboard radius or the maple material itself. I don't like that maple gets dirty and discoloured in normal use so quickly.

I have one acoustic with a "Techwood" fingerboard which I suspect is thermally treated something. It plays well, in fact stunningly so with impressive tone given its uber modest pricepoint. Its fingerboard feels OK, but not as nice as genuine rosewood. Again, though a concert body its conventional string spacing and scale length probably have more influence on my perception of how it feels than the material per se when my basis of comparison is a Yamaha APX600.

I'm about to try a thermally treated maple fingerboard aka "Roseacer" for the first time given the CITES related direct import ban on Rosewood.