View post (Difficulties with index finger positioning on fret)

View thread

lamprog
lamprog
05/06/2018 4:36 pm

Hi Christopher and thanks for this great input!

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I can see on your first picture that you've got decent position. But one potential problem that might hinder you playing is that your thumb is pretty high on the back of the neck. If it works for you, then fine. If it's hindering your motion & playing, then you might consider adjusting it down further.

[/quote][br] [br]This makes perfect sense, even more so after watching your fretting tutorial. Somehow this didn't occur to me, but having given it a shot it does feel much more natural if I let my thumb move gradually up and down in the opposite direction of my fingers. Simple stuff but great effect!
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel[br]Visualize an "axis of power" that runs from the tip of your fretting fingers to your thumb. In general they should move in opposite directions in order to get the most clamping power & leverage. If you are playing on the lower strings, then move your thumb slightly down. When you playing on the higher strings, move your thumb higher. When playing in the middle or a lot of strings, then you'll need to find the most advantageous place near the middle.

I cover this concept along with other mechanics of fretting hand here.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=605[br][/quote]

I watched the four videos of the tutorial and found the instructions very useful. Thank you!

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel[br]It will get better with practice. But you might adjust your thumb down a bit to see if that helps. Also, consider that you might be clamping too hard! Just enough pressure is all you need.[br][/quote]

Something else for me to improve. I clamped the neck of my guitar as if my life depended on it. ;-)

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel][br][quote=eugen.pfleiderer]

...but as I place the other fingers on the next frets it is almost impossible for me:

Do you have any hints or suggestions?

[p]That's not necessarily a problem unless it's uncomfortable or hindering your ability to play certain notes.

However, once you have another finger higher on the same string you don't need to keep everything perfectly perpendicular or even right on the note.

Also, you might need to move your hand up the neck a bit as you add fingers. Your thumb could be a bit lower as well to help get all those fingers on the lower strings.[br]

[p]Things to take away for me:[br]* Let my thumb move up and down the back of the guitar's neck to maintain the "axis of power" in relation to my fretting fingers.[br]* Take the pressure out of my hand. Just provide enough pressure to get the job done.[br]* I don't need to worry about keeping my fingers perfectly perpendicular to the fretboard as long as I can play the notes cleanly.[br]* Dexterity will improve with practice.

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel]

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary. Best of success!

[br]It does and I will! Thank you! :-)

Gear: Standard Telecaster Brown Sunburst

Personal Guitar Hero: Pat Metheny

Next Guitar on my To-Buy-List: Ibanez Artcore Expressionist Vintage