View post (Starting out at 37)

View thread

lamprog
lamprog
05/04/2018 6:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

that's good to hear! Being at the very beginning of the beginner's course on here, I still have a long way to go until I will be able to start with the Jazz lessons. I am looking forward to it, however!

Simultaneously to working through the practical exercises, I keep myself busy with music theory which I don't at all find as boring as many people would like to make it. I had a huge sense of accomplishment when I noticed that I was able to derive all the major heptatonic scales on my own. :-D It's pretty awesome when certain things fall into place and start to make sense all of a sudden. :-)

Also, I just finished a training (i.e. actively playing) session of nearly an hour and the finger tips of my left hand almost don't hurt at all!

Having only just received my first guitar I can already sympathize with GAS. In fact I toyed with the idea of getting a hollow body guitar first but figured that living in an apartment with thin walls I'd better start out on an instrument that doesn't produce as much noise on its own. ;-) I have not regretted my decision for a single second so far.

The guitar arrived in an excellent condition without the need of having the action adjusted or any signs of sloppy assembly. This is something that I dreaded a bit since I'd previously owned an Ibanez GIO, one of those all-in-one sets that came with a gigbag and an amp. I remember that the neck of the guitar was what appeared to be very slightly twisted which had the effect of messing up the action and constantly buzzing strings. I never warmed up to it and eventually sold it on eBay. The Tele I have now leaves absolutely nothing to be desired. Also, it stays in tune amazingly well.

I named her Abuelita, by the way, given that she hails from Mexico and is kind of like the grandmother of most of today's electric guitars. :-)

Gear: Standard Telecaster Brown Sunburst

Personal Guitar Hero: Pat Metheny

Next Guitar on my To-Buy-List: Ibanez Artcore Expressionist Vintage