View post (Mastering the fretboard!)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
08/14/2002 3:41 pm
Hey Dejan, I understand where you’re coming from but I believe you missed something I said in that post. When I talk about the speed of playing, no one can even come close to playing 16th notes at 480 bpm. What I said was, “Beginner should play a note on each beat at 120 to 220 bpm.” That means play a note each time you hear the “tick”. What I meant was quarter notes (4/4 time). I may not have been completely clear on that, I apologize. I believe the time signature for the chromatic scale is in common time. I didn’t mean playing it to a 16 note rhythm (4/16 time), haha. I would love to see someone even try to attempt that. And in this aspect, most metronomes don’t go up to 480, to achieve this make the denominator an 8 instead of a 4. Meaning 8 ticks per measure, and then just slow the bpm to 240. If you metronome doesn’t go up to 240 (I don’t see why not, but if it doesn’t), make the number 16 instead of 8 and put the bpm at 120. So if you’re playing it by 16th notes, the highest-level BPM is only 120. I think you can see what I’m saying. The reason I put it this way is because it’s easier to follow if playing with each tick. Especially for beginners, cause most don’t even know what a 16th note is. It just clears all that confusion out. And if you can play it in a 16th note rhythm at 260 bpm then you really don’t have to worry about this exercise. I can only play it at 200 bpm, but than again I’m playing it on bass. A little tricky’er.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.