View post (Newbie question)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
07/20/2018 11:23 pm
Originally Posted by: niccoman5

The music sheet is too long for me to memorize it and I often get lost. What do you guys do? Do you print it out? And if so how do you turn the pages while strummimg.

[p]

I memorise. There's no way at this juncture I could read notation at the pace I can play. Even should one day I attain that degree of proficiency, as an analogy, it reminds me a lot of one of the keys for managing the workload flying a non-precision instrument approach. The 5 P principle. Everything needs to be precommitted to memory prior to the flight with the approach plate merely for cross check reference during execution of the actual approach.

However as the alternative, (i) print it out, (ii) on separate pages, (iii) buy & use a music stand.

How I do it. The chord progressions for verse and chorus of "Hallalujah" (Buckley version in C) are lengthy involving more than the common three or four note riff changes. I used my Android tablet with tablet stand learning the two from notation committed to memory and aural mimicry without reading it from notation as I played, then putting them together fluidly.