View post (Guitar Tricks Success Stories?)

View thread

hdoran
Full Access
hdoran
Full Access
02/12/2018 4:58 pm

Me! I feel like a GT success story. I started playing guitar when I was 38 (I'm now 45). I have progressed through an array of GT videos, but have also taken personal lessons as well. I watch youtube videos often.

At 40, I started a band in the Washington, DC area and we are still together playing 3 times per month with a song catalogue that has grown to over 150 songs (although any given show has only 55 songs).

I play everyday, for at least an hour, and sometimes I play for 20 to 30 hours per week.

I have three kids, a wife, a dog, I exercise everyday, I go to live shows in DC often. I share this because I often hear people say that they don't have time. But, when you commit to something, time finds itself.

It doesn't hurt that I have become a small guitar collector. I now own a Fender Strat HSS, a PRS SE, a Gibson 335, Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez JS 2410, and my brand new Gibson LE 2018 Explorer (plus a few acoustics).

So, I'm constantly tempted to pick one of these up and crank them through my Orange TH 30 at home to practice.

In other words, man, I frickin' love to play guitar. I get frustrated often, I work through my struggles, and I wish I was better everyday.

Sometimes, I am very structured in my practice, sometimes very random. Sometimes I learn hard songs and other times I learn easy songs. Very often, I choose not to learn an entire song (unless it's for the band). I often learn small snippets of songs just because the licks are challenging.

Take Walk by Pantera. I'd never play that entire song at a live show or in front of a campfire. But, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't learn the opening riff of that song. Or, take Hold On Loosely by .38 special. Turns out, you can learn that entire song (at a basic level) in a few minutes.