View post (I hate my guitar tone)

View thread

justinbirtha
justinbirtha
01/30/2018 2:50 am

Hey guys I am very unhappy with my guitar tone. I would love for your guys help since I really have nowhere else to turn. So heres a quick rundown of my gear right now: Jackson USA Soloist (Jb,59) and a Fender MiM Strat (Jb, Sentient). Marshall Dsl40c (all stock) a delay pedal for leads, Reverb pedal for rhythm, noise suppressor for unwanted hiss, and a Boss SD-1 for tightening up the low end of my amp since it is kind of flubby. The tone I want is one that is very tight for metal (I do not play any Black/Death metal or anything below C# tuning) and has nice liquid and fluid leads.I would also like to have good cleans as well (but this is not my priority as long as it play cleans and it is not muddy) I find my tone in contrast to that as of now. My rhythm is not as thick and tight as it could be. My leads sound sharp and spikey and untasteful. I have experimented with the positions of my pedals and the pedals themselves along with the EQ on the amp and honestly I cannot find my 'sound'. I have played a Blackstar Ht Club 40 whenever I go into Sam Ash and with just the guitar (one that I am trying out at Sam Ash, not one of my own) plugged in it sounds beautiful and lovely, and that is just at low volumes, I could only imagine it cranked. I am only 15 and do not have a lot of money to be on a 'tone quest'. The types of bands I look up to are Slayer, Megadeth, Venom, Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne (Randy Rhoads era only) and Pantera. Could these things be attributable to the reason I hate my tone??

-Pickup Selection (Maybe the Jb is not for me

-Amp (Would the Blackstar be a better choice? If this would be the cause I would like something that is versatile at the least)

-Too thin of a string gauge

-Pickup height

-Can't find the sweetspot on my amp

-Placebo? (Maybe to others I might have an epic guitar tone? Am I overthinking the whole thing?)

-Or is it my technique? (I have significantly improved my technique over the past 8 months so I doubt that this is it, but I am open minded to new ideas!)

Well there you go, that is my problem in conclusion. Is there any advice/tips you guys would like to pass onto me? Is there anything I shoud try to do with my current setup before spending money on new gear or making drastic changes? Did any of guys have the same problem as me and if you did. did you have any solutions for it? Thanks guys for taking your time out of your day to try to help me out, I deeply appreciate it.

[br]Also if you guys would like me to post some videos of me playing on my setup and I can do that, just to let you know though it will be taken on an Iphone so it won't sound like what I am hearing on the other end. Anways thanks again I sincerely appreciate it taking valuable time out of your day in an effort to help Thanks!

-Justin