View post (Sound/EQ Related Question)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/25/2018 3:43 pm

Hey, Jasim. Glad to hear you've been finding time to practice! :)

Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

With that being said, and I have acquired some of those lately, I’m very overwhelmed with the settings and EQ and different sounds of all that. For example: I honestly don’t know what’s treble? Is it different from let’s say MID or HIGH? What’s LOW? What’s the frequency? How do they work all together? And the list goes on.

Treble is high frequencies, mid is middle frequencies, bass or low is low frequencies. Each knob controls the amount of high, mid or low frequencies that an amp or effect adds or subtracts from the overall tone.

But, here's where hands-on experience is absolutely required: every amp or effects brand has it's own unique way of dividing or isolating the distinction between the fequency bands. And how it colors the overall sound.

So, it is very easy to get overwhelmed!

The best place to start is the rock course 1 chapter 5 where Anders demos the standard amp types & effects. Start at this tutorial & go forward.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=1615

That will give you a good foundation understanding of what those knobs do. However, the rest is up to you to actually turn the knobs on your gear & LISTEN. Using musical gear is an endless experiment of virtually limitless combinations. Take your time, be patient, enjoy the experimentation!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory