View post (Best and safest cleaner for Vintage Fender amps)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/07/2017 3:12 pm
Originally Posted by: stratmanjimbo

I usually choose the same stuff i use on the interior vinyl of my car but I'd love to bring back to life the tolex and do so correctly.[/quote]

Yep, I use the same stuff as on the car dashboard, etc. As long as it doesn't have an abrasive element I think it's fine.

[quote=stratmanjimbo]I invested a pretty penny in my 50+ year old Fender amp and the tolex is in great shape but definitely faded after all these past decades. Suggestions are welcomed!!

I've heard great things about this stuff:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MN107

Decades ago, when I was working at a music store, the owner would rent gear & run sound for shows. I worked some of the shows when they need an extra hand. I still remember winding up thousands of feet of cables! They were all dirty & sticky from beer & who knows what else from the concert floor. As we reeled things in, the owner handed out rags & big spray bottles of Armour All. He said wipe everything down as you reel it in before it goes in the road case. That way it was cleaned & packed in one step, stored & ready to go for the next gig.

I suppose that new product might be better in some ways, but it's probably the same basic stuff. :)

Don't waste too much time cleaning that amp. Crank it & play it instead! Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory