View post (loud buzz when not touching strings)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/17/2017 5:37 pm

You're welcome for the reply!

Originally Posted by: bimbuyI tried running the amp on batteries and then the buzz disappeared so now Im pretty sure that the problem here is the outlet with no ground.

Great thinking! I didn't know those could be run on batteries. That's a perfect test to isolate the problem. Well done. :)[br][br]The noise gate sounds like a good temporary workaround solution.

I don't think shielding will help much more than anything else you've done. I wouldn't be surprised if the guitar was already shielded a bit, likely on the inside of the pickguard. And especially since you've isolated the ungrounded AC electric as the source of the buzz.

A couple of older places I lived did not have grounded power. In one situation I had a friend fix it. He had experience working with an electrical contractor, so he knew how to tie a shielded copper wire into the fusebox & run it to a long metal bar that we literally stuck into the ground & then covered with a box!

I am NOT suggesting that you do this! :) Please be careful around electricity. I'm only mentioning it to show that it's possible to fix the problem with the right knowledge & tools. You might be able to hire a local electrician, or talk to the owners of the property to see if they are willing to hire one. It could be an inexpensive way to upgrade the property, make it safer & be a win for everyone.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory