View post (ear training where to learn)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/20/2017 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: mbw1

if i praticed my ear training with a piano instead of a guitar, would I still gain the same or would it kinda be a waste of time?

That's a great question. Practicing on a piano has pros & cons.

While you could use a piano for ear training, it's definitely not the same as using a guitar to do the same task. You could get your mind & ear used to hearing intervals, scales, chords, chord progessions just like you would on the guitar.

The disadvantage is that you would not be reinforcing how those patterns look (visually) & feel (tactile to you fingers) on the guitar.

You would be instead be training your eyes & fingers to manipulate those elements of music theory on the piano.

I know from playing & practicing both intruments that there is a certain amount of carry over that works well between those instruments. After all, a major scale sounds the same on both. A chord or chord progression sounds basically the same.

But there are often drastic differences in how chords are voiced on piano as opposed to the guitar. And there is a considerable difference in timbre no matter what you do.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory