View post (Silly Question about key)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/26/2017 8:14 pm
Originally Posted by: kvsealegs

I put some strings on my guitar that sound really tinny when in standard tuning. I dropped the tuning on all strings by 1 step down. It would probably be just right, if I could figure out how to tune it down just a half step But that's not the question.

[/quote]

Tune down one-half step by tuning your strings low to high:

E-flat (or D#)

A-flat (or G#)

D-flat (or C#)

G-flat (or F#)

B-flat (or A#)

E-flat (or D#)

You can use the reference tuner & change the pitch with the little minus button next to each machine head.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tuner/tunerpop.php

[quote=kvsealegs]

The question is can you play guitar along with others playing a step above or below or do you have to play in the same key to sound in sync? I am pretty sure the answer is no, you all have to play in the same key.

Good question!

Everyone has to play the same pitch. This does mean you have to play in the same key, too. But that can be misleading because, for example, if you are tuned to standard pitch, but your friend is tuned a whole step lower, then your friend will have to play in what appears to be a key a whole step higher to match you.

You - tuned to standard play a C chord.

Friend - tuned whole step lower has to play a D chord to match you.

So, you'll both be playing in the key of C. But your friend's guitar is tuned lower so to him it appears he is playing in the "key of D". But that's because he has to make up for his non-standard tuning.

Make sense?

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory